My photo
Washington, DC, United States
"A rose is a rose is an onion." -Ernest Hemingway

25.6.09

Squash Blossom and Shallot Chicken

Since I'm back home in rural Virginia, I've been filling up my spare time by taking care of my vegetable garden. Everything's doing quite well, if I do say so myself, but I'm a bit (read: very) impatient: as soon as my squash and zucchini plants started blooming, I couldn't resist plucking a few flowers*. This light dish showcases the sweet and mildly fruity flavor of the blossoms.

For about 4 servings, you'll need:

+ 4 chicken breasts, butterflied
+ S&P
+ olive oil, for skillet
+ 1 shallot, sliced
+ 6 squash blossoms, quartered lengthwise (stamen removed)
+ butter, 1 tablespoon

Liberally salt and pepper the chicken breasts; cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Rest. In a small skillet, melt butter and lightly saute shallot. Remove from heat and pour over chicken. Place squash blossoms on top (they will wilt slightly when they come in contact with the warm chicken), and enjoy!

* If you're growing your own squash blossoms (some larger grocery stores carry them, too), remember to pick in the morning, when the blooms are open. If possible, avoid picking female flowers, which will eventually produce squash. Male flowers are those that grow at the end of a small stem, rather than in the center of the plant. Remember to leave a few of both sexes on the plant! Store your blooms in the refrigerator, in an airtight container with a damp paper towel, for up to two days.

Squash Blossoms on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape plagiarism checker - duplicate content and unique article detection software.