My photo
Washington, DC, United States
"A rose is a rose is an onion." -Ernest Hemingway

17.7.09

Pink Peppercorn Ice Cream

My parents have been making homemade ice cream since I was a tiny little kid, and I've picked it up, as well. Though we do use custard bases in some variations, I chose to use a cream base in this particular recipe for two reasons. I wanted to fully preserve the soft pink color imparted by the pepper, and figured that a lighter, smoother texture would be better suited to the unique flavor profile -- and I was right!

This shockingly tasty, sweet-and-savory treat is great on its own with a dusting of cocoa powder, but also makes a great base for other add-ins. (I'm currently itching to fold some dark chocolate chunks into the batch I just made!)

For about 1 quart, you'll need:

+ heavy cream, 3 cups
+ sugar, 1 cup
+ salt, pinch
+ whole pink peppercorns, 2 tablespoons

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan; stir constantly with a wooden spoon over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes. For a stronger flavor, gently crush the peppercorns against the side of the saucepan with the spoon. Pass through a sieve; discard peppercorns.

Chill mixture for at least 1 hour; churn in an ice cream maker until thick and creamy. Freeze; enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape plagiarism checker - duplicate content and unique article detection software.