My photo
Washington, DC, United States
"A rose is a rose is an onion." -Ernest Hemingway

23.5.09

Blood Orange Sorbet

I came home from college last week, with a long list of pastries and sweet desserts that I planned to make. When my dad informed me that he was on the Atkin's diet (again), I realized that I'd have to revamp some of my menus. For this sorbet, I used sweet blood oranges and a (relatively) small amount of sugar. Enjoy!

Blood Orange on Foodista

For about 1 pint, you'll need:

+ blood oranges, 4 pounds
+ 1 lime or 1 lemon
+ water, 1 1/4 cups
+ sugar, 3/4 cup (Small? Okay, not really.)

Chill the metal canister of your ice cream maker.
Zest 3 of the oranges. Simmer the zest, the sugar and the water over medium-high heat until the sugar has dissolved and the water has reduced by half. Chill.

Juice all of the oranges, and the lime or lemon, making sure to pass the juice through a sieve. Combine juice with syrup; chill for at least one hour. Churn in your ice cream maker until thick and cold. Place in a plastic container, and freeze for at least 3 hours before eating. Garnish with thin strips of lime or lemon zest; enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape plagiarism checker - duplicate content and unique article detection software.