My photo
Washington, DC, United States
"A rose is a rose is an onion." -Ernest Hemingway

2.5.09

Smith & Wollensky

Smith and Wollensky
1112 19th Street NW
Washington DC 20036


I came here for a school function expecting to be impressed. Unfortunately, the only highlight of the meal was the fact that I didn't have to pay for it.

First, we had Caesar salads. The dressing was fresh, pungent and tasty. That said, the salad was so overdressed that I felt like I was swallowing handfuls of anchovies and garlic. Not great, especially considering the salad goes for about $10 normally, but it could have been worse.

But, considering the fact that S & W is a steakhouse, I was still looking forward to the main course.
This was easily the worst filet I've ever had, and the biggest disappointment of the meal. Although the steak was nice and medium-rare to rare on the inside (just like I like it), there was no dark, flavorful sear on the meat, which was a rather unfortunate grey color on the outside. I don't like heavily treated filets, but c'mon, guys-- are salt and pepper really so much to ask for? This was served atop a bed of equally bland mashed potatoes. Even the tobacco onions were bland, as was the jus spooned around the plate.

When I got home and consulted Zagat, I was shocked to see that the filet usually goes for over $35 - what a waste of money!

Dessert was a boring apple streudal, served with a bit of creme anglaise. Not bad, but certainly not good enough to make up for the rest of the meal.

Smith & Wollensky on Urbanspoon

Food aside, the servers were quite attentive, and the restaurant had a welcoming, rustic atmosphere. I've seen better, though, and I've certainly eaten better. I won't be coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape plagiarism checker - duplicate content and unique article detection software.